PROJECT 1 – Urban Landscape Tryptich

Tuesday, October 27th, 2015

Tryptich Final

Posting the end result first, because that’s more fun anyways~ My idea was to gather pictures of buildings from across Regina, and using photoshop, combine different parts of the buildings to make 3 different kinds of temples/churches. From left to right: Stave Church, Japanese Pagoda, Gothic Cathedral.

The first thing I did was run around the city taking pictures of buildings that I knew had some features I could work with. I found it very difficult to find buildings to use for creating a Stave Church. There is not many buildings with architecture like that of a Stave Church, and so I feel that that particular piece in the tryptich is weak. Aaanyways, here are a few original pictures I took.

20151012_181050

20151012_182754

20151013_121111

20151013_121825

20151013_125627

20151013_133159

I had lots of fun learning how to use the manual camera settings on my LG G4, but obviously I have not perfected it, as a lot of the pictures I took were overexposed.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 7.32.07 PM

I started by trying to fix some of the overexposure by adding a brightness/contrast mask on the layer.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 7.50.31 PM

I also tried making the pictures look better by using the levels layer mask.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 8.06.06 PM

I actually did not stick with this idea here, where I applied a gradient to this layer. I had planned to continue that for all layers, but I quickly realized that there would be way too many layers and there would probably be a better way of stylizing the layers.

ts1

I wanted to make this fence partially transparent, so when I placed it over a floor, you could see the floor behind it through these little holes. I used the polygonal lasso tool and delete to do this. Originally I was using the rectangle selection and it was too rigid and did not look very good.

ts2

I pasted the top roof of the pagoda, and realized I had cut too much out of the picture. I used the brush tool with the colour white, and coloured in the bottom part. As I was doing this, other features of the original picture started appearing, so I used the spot healing brush and regular healing brush tools to cover them up.

ts3

Fixing the brightness and contrast again.

ts4

You can’t see very well in this picture, but instead of doing a straight line on the bottom of this piece of the building, I made short and jagged selections to look more realistic.

ts5

Creating the gradient for the background. I discovered how to change the opacity and edit the premade gradients.

ts6

I downloaded some free brushes online to try out on my pieces. I found all of them from this website: link. I played around alot with colour, brush size, opacity, and angle of the brush.

ts7

A final brightness and contrast edit. I could not get the middle part of the building to look anything but green, unfortunately.

And the individual finished pieces:

Tryptich Gothic Castle

Tryptich Pagoda (1)

Tryptich Stave Church

Some areas I thought I could improve on: my photography skills, making sure not to take overexposed pictures, finding good lighting, making my own brushes, adding some shadows and shading.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: